Lucky Icon: Lauren Hutton

Jul
Friday 5, July 2013 - 3:00 am | Backstage Pass, Features
Lucky-Icon-Lauren-Hutton

I first met Lauren Hutton 15++ years ago in Cleveland, Ohio . . . She was hosting an event at the J.Crew store in Tower City. I was sent there to make sure that she looked great and the store was perfectly folded, propped and styled for the event. Lauren looked stunning in a pair of chinos and a white shirt (collar turned up) . . . Needless to say she didn’t need me, or my styling advice.

I remember that day so clearly — I have a snapshot in my mind of her leaning on the banister in the store chatting with Al, the store manager.  She was so engaged. That big smile. She made gorgeous look so easy . . . A natural beauty.

Fast forward to Lucky Brand’s Fall 2013 Denim Democracy Campaign shot at Milk Studios in Los Angeles a month ago . . . In comes Lauren, radiating that same energy — a true style icon. We replace the chinos with a pair of skinny jeans & the white shirt with a chambray + leather jacket. Classic & Cool — very Lucky, very Lauren.

wwd logo1 Lucky Icon: Lauren Hutton
LUCKY BRAND FEATURES LAUREN HUTTON FOR FALL
by ROSEMARY FEITELBERG

Lucky Brand Fall 2013 Lauren HuttonLUCKY ELECTS HUTTON: Lauren Hutton’s long-forgotten Penthouse photos resurfaced last week nearly 50 years after they were taken, but Lucky Brand execs were more fired up about her modeling for the label. This fall’s Denim Democracy campaign features the gap-toothed beauty surrounded by an assortment of all-American posers. Shot at Milk Studios in Los Angeles, the ragtag family of eight was photographed on what looked like the front porch of a weather-beaten country house.

Ever the trained-and-tested pro, Hutton was all about the fit of the clothes, said executive vice president and creative director Patrick Wade. Truth be told, few other women who are pushing 70 could pull off skinny jeans and a bomber jacket. In between takes, Hutton played the matriarch role to a T, joking with photographer Giampaolo Sgura and prodding the pint-size models to smile. Wade said, “We do shoots all the time with models, but Lauren really made the day. She brought so much energy to the set.” (She also brought her own makeup and took care of every last brush stroke herself.)

The images and video will appear in fall ads, on Lucky Brand’s Web site and in its August catalogue, which ships to 500,000 shoppers. The brand hopes to recruit Hutton for its Santa Monica and Beverly Hills store openings this fall. “We love her and would love for her to be part of that,” Wade said.

The denim label is also keen to reenlist models Missy Rayder and David Gandy for a third season. When the pair headlined Lucky’s 64-page catalogue last summer, it was the most successful one to date, Wade said. On another front, Lucky is a sponsor of season six of PBS’ “Live From the Artists Den.” A recent blog post described Imagine Dragons’ 90-minute taping, including such postshow info as the fact that the Moscow Mule was the drink of choice and a Lucky-designed Imagine Dragon T-shirts was the swag. Mumford & Sons, Soundgarden, The Killers, The National and Ed Sheeran are also on tap this summer for the public television program.

Lucky Brand Fall 2013 Denim Democracy

Comments

• kcm | Monday 19, August 2013 - 7:38 am

Reblogged this on typicalwishes and commented:
    I love to see Lauren Hutton anytime she is a featured, wearing a particular line’s clothing. She has amazing style and inspires a 50ish someone like me to have fun and rock a great look! Gorgeous!! xox kcm

• Lauren | Friday 16, August 2013 - 9:40 am

I have always been a fan of Lauren and your brand. Both are one of a kind. We need more of both in this day and age. Lauren is beautiful and has such a beautiful spirit. Her free spiritedness is perfect for what your brand represents.

• Geslina | Sunday 11, August 2013 - 6:40 pm

I am well over age 35 and a new recruit to Lucky Brand – I think I initially held back because I thought the brand was too young, too trendy – until one fateful visit to the local store….What I love about the line is that it IS timeless, and I am thrilled to see Lauren Hutton and the plus size models right up there in the photos with the models that so few of us actually look like. The clothing is both flattering AND interesting, I love that no one is left out of the marketing, and of course, that the clothes are made in the USA!! I plan to be a buyer for a long time to come!

• karincole | Sunday 11, August 2013 - 7:20 pm

Thanks so much for the nice note! Happy you found Lucky!

• Bonnie | Friday 12, July 2013 - 7:46 am

I am a contemporary of Lauren Hutton, and have always loved her fresh and relaxed style.
    I have been wearing Lucky jeans for quite a few years now. Brilliant that Lauren will be a New face for Lucky. This will show all of the 1960 flower children that you can look as great as “back in the day as they now say” with Lucky jeans and clothing . There are many of us over 60 that can still rock a great fitting pair of jeans. Thank you for showing that with one of our most beautiful seniors.

• julie | Sunday 7, July 2013 - 8:15 am

very thrilled to see Lauren Hutton as a model for Lucky Brand!

• vicarious-vicarious | Friday 5, July 2013 - 1:50 pm

What a knockout!!!! She sounds amazing in person!!! I always love to hear that instead of bad behavior!!! Her smile has always seemed genuine, lively and full of kindness…so wonderful that she is too;)!